I have more than one twitter account for business reasons. A LOT of my work is done with heavy use of social media and since Facebook wants more cash than I’m willing to hand over to share my posts, Twitter and Google Plus are where it’s at right now. I love getting to see a nice tidy stream of awesomeness, but lately one of my accounts is just full of dren that I don’t really think I can bring myself to click on.
Same Dren, Different Day
I have one of those “mommy blogs” and that account subscribes to a lot of other “mommy blogs”. I’m seeing this disturbing trend lately of people sharing 20 of their posts all at once and they’re all just affiliate links or something they’re selling. That’s fine and dandy, but if I see 20-30 things from you all at once with not much more than, “Here’s how to get 10% @FCORKSARCASM Brand Bat Guano this #Holiday #Season! http://a.bit.ly.or.ow.ly #spon”, I’m not going to click on any of them just on principal. Even if I really want to find out more about that bat guano.
At least pretend you’re here to share more than just what I could pull from your site with an RSS subscription. There’s at least 10 other people in the feed who are going to have those same deals soon, so I’m going to click on the person who actually seems to care.
Sunshine and Rainbow Tweets
Some of Twitter is pure magic though. There are some blogs that I subscribe to, check often, and love. There are a lot of authors that I adore getting updates from and some actors who do awesome charity work and talk about it via Twitter. With great power comes great tweets… or something like that. Here are a few people who are definitely worth following:
- Wil & Anne Wheaton (@wilw & @AnneWheaton)- Wil Wheaton is an awesome multi-dimensional guy and is all kinds of nerd-awesomeness. That said, I like his wife even more. Anne’s #VandalEyes tweets are hilarious and she speaks well to every single I-married-a-geek woman everywhere.
- John Scalzi (@scalzi)- Aside from just being a Sci-Fi fan girl, I enjoy good humor (and he’s great for that). This author does a lot of great things for charity and his blog is great to check up on.
- The Bloggess (@TheBloggess)- What could I possibly say about this woman that hasn’t been said? She’s honest and open about her unique interests and her battle with that bastard called depression. If that doesn’t tempt you, then hear this: taxidermy unicorn.
- What The Flicka (@WhatTheFlicka)- This blog was founded by actress Felicity Huffman and has a bunch of great contributors from all over the web. Hi-jinks and mixed drinks. If you only check it once a week, do it on Wednesday for the Hump Day Cocktails.
- All Fooked Up (@allfookeduptoo)- There are some things that ever mom wants to say about motherhood and home life in general. Lynn tends to say them and it’s both a relief and funny to follow along with.
- Me (@FrostedCork)- because I feel pretty awesome. You should come hang out with me on Twitter.